Sunday, July 15, 2012

Chill Weekend

Let me start off by saying that I have a new favorite merienda (between meal snack)!! We had a cucumber, cheese and mayo sandwich again! With Tang! It was amazing!!

We've had a few more language classes since the last time I've posted and they're so much fun!  It's so different from taking language classes in college because here, everyone is friends and not afraid to make mistakes.  Everyone works together a lot better and it's really helpful.  The language is definitely going to be difficult to learn, though, because there are a lot of syllables in the words and they're very different from ours.  Also, the Filipino language (aka Tagolog) does not include a few of our letters: 'F' for example.  Filipinos say "Pilipinos" and "the Pilipines"... it's even spelled like that.

As one of our ice breakers this week we played a game really similar to 'Rock, Paper, Scissors" (and really similar to Kayla & Nicole's game) but it was "Eagle, Bangus, Mosquito".  The eagle kills the bangus (milkfish), bangus kills mosquito, and mosquito kills the eagle (by giving it malaria).  It was pretty fun and reminded me of my little "sisters" :).

We went to the mall again last night to kill some time and run a few errands.  It's always nice to get out into the "city" and away from the IIRR.  Here's me and Hillary in the Jeepney, waiting to get going.

While we were shopping around the "market" in the mall (basically a huge grocery store with anything you could ever want, in a mall), I spotted this ad.  I find it really interesting that ladies here long for a "Pinkish White Glow".
When we were getting ready to leave I spotted a Penn State tshirt on a Filipino!! I asked if he went there and he said no, his friend just sent it to him.  Still cool to see something from home on a rando!! 


2 days ago we had kind of a rough Education session.  It was challenging emotionally but it's a good preview and warning of what we may encounter.  Since I am a Peace Corps Volunteer and representing my country and my government, I shouldn't get too into my own opinion and feelings so I'll just present the information and let you take it as you will.
Most classes will have somewhere between 40-60 students, sometimes more.  
There is rarely enough chairs/desks for each student so some will have to sit on the floor.
The Dept. of Ed. claims to have enough books in its system for each student to have a textbook, however, the books are not distributed correctly so one school may have plenty while one has none.
In one Volunteer's school, textbooks were distributed to students but the students took the home and never brought them back.  Basically, they're gone.
There may or may not be a chalkboard in each class.  You may or may not be able to find chalk.
The students may or may not have their own supplies (ie paper and pencil).
Occasionally, in the schools of some Volunteers, the principal will call a faculty meeting in the middle of the day and leave all the students across the school by themselves with no supervision.  Those meetings are usually to celebrate teacher's birthdays.
It seems to be across the system that grades don't matter.  Teachers make them up to make their schools look good.  If a student attends school and does nothing he/she will pass.

It just seems pretty hopeless in this situation we're coming into and I have to keep reminding me of a metaphor that was shared with us a few days ago:  our work here as a Peace Corps Volunteer is just raindrops in the river.  Also, a quote about PCVs: "You will plant the seeds of a tree whose branches you will not get to sit under".  Still seems daunting and discouraging.

Today we went to Manila Bay for our Water Training session!  
The water was so warm!! I have to keep reminding myself that I'm in the tropics!
Unfortunately, the water was pretty polluted.  There was trash floating everywhere and it was really murky.

We're back at IIRR for the rest of the day and we have off!  It's so stinkin hot here everyone is just lying around in front of fans.  A lot of people are M.I.A. so I'm assuming they're napping in their air con'd rooms!  Some of us are getting together at 3 to share our self defense knowledge and at 5 some of us are playing basketball! Hopefully it cools off a little before then!!


1 comment:

  1. I need to get me one of these cucumber sandwiches! They sound amazing to me.

    Re: teaching conditions, they are totally right about the planting of the seeds. You are way more important to the lives of some of your students than you will ever realize, or maybe even they might ever realize. I think about the way that past teachers have impacted me, both amazing teachers and also lousy or "mean" ones and I can see things I do now that came from them, for better or worse. So while you can't change the conditions, or the policies, or overhaul the education system, you can make a difference in the life of a child and then that child's children and so on and so fourth. Especially when I was elementary school age, my mind was putty and a sponge!

    You're amazing! Keep up the good work and the good blogging.

    ReplyDelete