I think I’ve mentioned the “mano” custom here in the
Philippines already: when young people show respect to older people and get
their blessing by touching the older person’s hand to the younger person’s
forehead. On Thursday, when I was
leaving my 2nd class at San Ramon, I was trying to quietly sneak out
of the classroom because I thought if they students noticed they would all
stand up and say goodbye to me in unison.
I didn’t want to disrupt their work so I was trying to just get the
attention of the teacher quietly. One of
the students noticed my sign language and got up to come back and “mano”
me. That set off the ripple effect!
Every student in class got up to “mano” me before I left! So much for being
sneaky!
I finally got my HelLow card! It’s basically an
international calling card that is fairly cheap. I was so glad to talk to my parents last
night and Ricky this morning!! :)
Yesterday, as part of our language class, we took a trip to
the ‘palengke’ (market) to practice asking if they have something, or how much
something is, and to practice bargaining.
It was really fun trying to speak Tagalog to people but it was
frustrating because when we asked our questions, they would respond in Tagalog
but I couldn’t really understand what they were saying! So we’d have to switch to English after
that. It’s going to take so much
practice! I just have to keep reminding
myself that I’ve only really been studying the language for about one week so
far, so I shouldn’t let myself get frustrated.
There weren’t a lot of fruit or veggie stands at the market
which is a bummer for me! We did go to
one of the only fruit stands, though, and I got to try some new things! I got these little spiky fruits called
rambutan. The ‘spikes’ are actually soft
and to eat it you have to twist off the outside to reveal the fruit
inside. It kind of looks and feels like
the inside of a grape but there’s a pit in the middle. It’s sweet and yummy! I also bought some apples to stash away as my
meryendas (turns out I was spelling it wrong before)! I went out on a limb and bought some sugar
apples as well, not sure what they’re called in Tagalog. I had to ask the vendor how to eat it and
they got a good laugh out of the Americans not knowing how to eat such a simple
fruit. Turns out you have to break it
apart and on the inside it’s kind of like a pomegranate in that there are
little separate pieces of fruit with a seed in them. It’s not all that sweet and the texture is a
little chalky so I probably won’t be getting them again. But I’m glad I got to try them!
Two days ago, Hunter’s (another Trainee) family bought a pig
for an upcoming wedding and was keeping it under their front porch/garage
area. Yesterday, when Hunter went home
quickly to grab her rainboots, she walked into a whole house full of people
preparing and cooking all kinds of pig parts!
She took pictures and it was a good cultural experience for all of us!
At night, when I come back to the house to hang out after
class, I usually have some visitors.
Usually it’s friends of the family or neighbors who come to sit with us
and talk. Last night, though, I had a
whole group of kids come sit with me for a while! They are so adorable and only a few speak
English but the other ones just like to sit and listen and stare. I’m actually writing this in my room right
now (I’ll publish it on my blog later), my door is open and I have at least 3
little girls standing in the living room area looking in at me! They’re so cute!
This morning we took a trip to Morong for another training
session on resiliency so we got to see more of the countryside. It was so beautiful in some parts and others…
not so much. The mountains are very
different looking than the mountains I’m used to!
This is my host mom and sister!
And this is Lisette posing next to the kitchen table with her latest creation. She's a cousin who has a degree in HRM and has been making most of our meals!
This is my room! Be jealous of my mosquito net!
This post has officially turned into a mish-mash of all the pictures I haven't uploaded since being in Dinalupihan. Buckle up.
This picture was taken from the bus that brought us to Dinalupihan. These were the first faces we saw! I have a video of these kids doing cartwheels and playing in the floods! So cute!
Speaking of floods, this was taken on my first day at San Ramon. All the courtyards were flooded and even some of the walkways in the buildings. It's been raining all day today and school has been cancelled for tomorrow, because of flooding.
Beautiful kids at San Ramon!
Here we are on our way to the market with our Language teacher, Fe, rockin' our rain boots (botas) and umbrellas (payong)!
I'm feeling the need to end this rant and compose myself and my writing.
This is in no way a "rant"...it was so interesting! I truly just love to see and read all about your everyday life no matter what form it's in!! Take care. Keep dry!! ;) Keep writing...love it!!! Ciao bella!
ReplyDelete