We needed to add a metal gate to the library door in order to protect against the break ins that have been happening--too often--at our school. The teachers seem to think whoever is breaking into classrooms must be looking for food or money because that's all that has been missing thus far. Even though the library won't have either of those things, I didn't want to take any chances with the computers. (Especially since a PCV friend told me her library was broken into recently and the cords to her brand new electric fans had been snipped off--probably to sell the copper wire within.)
I had delegated the job of commissioning the metal gate to someone else, but after waiting for over a month with no result, I decided to just do it myself.
We had a gate installed in the following three days.
And it only took three days because it happened to be over a weekend and they didn't work on Sat. and Sun..
Anyway, we have it now!
Kids reading on the bench during recess time
Some people who've visited the library have voiced their opinion that the white boards I've set up with letter and number magnets are only for the very young kids or toddlers. I strongly disagree since nearly every kid who comes in is drawn to them...
I'm hoping to find/make some word magnets so the older kids can make sentences and stories, too!
Future doctor...
I know I've mentioned this before, but so many kids LOVE the Hangman game! I explained it to a small group of girls one day and I've never had to explain it again! They're all teaching each other.
My carpenter finished the very LAST of the construction today! He made this low table for the bench area, a step stool for the short kids, and a 3rd table for the other side of the library.
Even though all these books could fit in one bookshelf, I've spread them out so the kids can see more covers. I can't wait to get started with the organization! Just waiting to hear back from Ateneo with the official OK!
My carpenter also hung the solar system visual I bought a while ago. There are always kids staring at it and when that happens I like to, secretly, switch it on so it starts to rotate. I love the surprised look on their faces!
We also have two more ceiling fans, thank goodness! Can't wait until that air con is installed! It's coming from the LGU (Local Gov't Unit) and I've been told that I just need to "follow up".
Another super exciting library development is the set up of our brand new computer and printer!! I can't express how convenient and lovely it is to have printer access whenever I need it! No more going to Naga, no more getting sweaty as I walk to the computer shop in the heat of the day just to find out that it's closed, (hopefully) no more viruses on my flash drive from other people's computers!
It's fantastic!
No comments:
Post a Comment