Friday, December 14, 2012

My life has become so busy in the last few weeks... and I like it! 
 I've been doing lots of research and planning for a day-long (7:30am - 11am, 1pm - 3:30pm) review I'm doing with a grade 6 class tomorrow.  They have their National Achievement Test coming up so I was given about 6 topics to review with them.  I've got lots of activities planned for them which will hopefully get them actively involved in their own learning (which is not always the case here).  Hopefully they'll be into it and not freak out with the different way of doing things.  (Some of the blank stares I get from new activities in my Remedial Reading class are almost comical... Frustrating but comical).  

Yesterday, a teacher from the local high school came to the office to invite me to participate in their "Fun Run" today which is meant to raise money for some of their projects.  Ma'am Merc (my principal), Manay Marina (works at school) and I made plans for Marina to kasama (kasama = companion) me to the race so I wouldn't have to go alone.  She would come to my house at 4:30 and we would go to the race together.  Well, last night, I went home to find a formal invitation the high school teachers had left with Lola, only to find out that the race was scheduled for 4:30 IN THE MORNING!  Not after school, as I had assumed.  At this point I was kicking myself in the butt for agreeing to attend such an early morning race, but I sucked it up and went to bed early.  Manay Marina and I made it to the race and ran the whole thing together.  It was still really dark (not many street lights) and it rained a little, but the temperature is cool at that time in the morning.  It was a nice run!  Of course, after the race I had to pose for pictures with the high school faculty on stage!  Overall, it was fun and I'm glad I sucked it up and did it!

In addition to the review tomorrow, I've been invited to the house of one of my co-workers to hang out with her family and watch them make chocolate from their cocoa trees in backyard!  Hopefully I can make it!

On Sunday, Hunter and I were informed that we'll be going to "Hydro" with all the School Heads from the area all day.  I'm not completely sure what Hydro is but I think it's some kind of resort that has springs of all different temperatures.  I also think I heard it's at the base of Mt. Isarog.  Should be fun!

I've been having three different classes (two grade 3 and one grade 6) write pen pal letters for the past few weeks and they should be ready in the beginning of next week.  I can't wait to read them! I'm sure I'll be sharing the good ones with you. 

Next week is shaping up to be an incredibly busy week!  In addition to preparing for MY TRIP WITH RICKY :))), the student Christmas parties are on Wednesday afternoon. Each grade is having a party of their own, so I have a bunch to visit!  The Coronation of "Mrs. PTA" is also next week.  In the beginning, I thought this competition was dumb but that was before I had all the facts.  The winner will be the lady who raised the most money for the school (by selling raffle tickets).  For the Coronation, there will (of course) be a whole program, including speakers, gown competitions, dance numbers,etc.  Friday will be the District Christmas Party (luckily that includes Hunter and her school) where there will be more competitions, more speakers, and more dance numbers... many more dance numbers.  Currently, I'm part of a dance number (dancing to Gangnam Style), but I'm trying my best to get out of it because I really hate dancing in front of people :/.  At the last faculty meeting, we spent a considerable amount of time deciding on what all of us will wear to the Christmas party.  A polka dot blouse was designed by all teachers and they will be made by a local seamstress over the weekend.  When the seamstress came to take our measurements (it was funny seeing my measurements next to everyone else's... a little different!), I also employed her to make me a pair of black dress pants!  She only charges about 700 pesos (about $17) and they're supposed to by finished by Monday!  Since the mall doesn't carry my size, I figured this was my best option.  I'm excited to have a pair of pants that will fit me perfectly! :)

Enough for now.  Merry Christmas, everyone!!

1 comment:

  1. I always knew runners were strange folks and 4:30 AM just confirms that!!

    ReplyDelete