Saturday, November 17, 2012

Gifts and Donations


Over the past few weeks, I’ve heard the phrase, “May regalo para sa iyo!” many times!  Usually it comes in the dark after a quiet knock on my bedroom window.  I’ll open it up to see Marlon or MakMak reaching into his backpack for something they acquired earlier in the day to give to me as a gift (or ‘regalo’).  I keep them all on my windowsill and I’m growing quite the collection.  My first gift from Marlon was a red heart sticker still on the plastic.  That was followed by a small, red, stuffed heart that says “I Miss You”, then a paper heart chain (which I taped to my wall).  A few days later, Marlon gave me an old, green and black Nike lanyard that has seen better days and a pencil in the same condition.  MakMak followed that up with a plastic, gold cherub pendant and a silver heart-with-an-arrow-through-it necklace pendant.  Ya know those spiraly, stretchy things people put on their keyrings?  Marlon gave me a maroon one later that week (a lot of Filipino women use them to tie their hair back).  Last night was the most recent gift giving occasion when Marlon presented me with a tiny leftover piece of green chalk and a plastic, Sailor Moon foldable fan (which looks like he found it along the street).

They must like me J 


I’ve received great news! My Nana’s church will be taking up an offering sometime in the near future to help me buy books for our library!  I will be doing some research about the best place to buy books here in country and I plan to ask teachers if they have any requests for specific books.  However, I’d also like to hear from you!  Are there any books that you use in your classroom, read to your kids, or remember from childhood that you think would be good for my library??  Please leave me some comments on this post with your suggestions (or you can email me)! 
I’m thinking I should definitely try to acquire some Shel Silverstein and Dr. Seuss… what else??

No comments:

Post a Comment