Apparently, it’s Thanksgiving… even though it certainly
didn’t feel like it in the 100+ degree heat today! There was no Turkey Bowl to wake up early
for, no big family gathering to attend, no football to lounge in front of while
slipping into a tryptophan coma-- it was a day like every other. Even though I’m bummed to be missing out on
family time, I have to admit that it really doesn’t feel like Thanksgiving to me, and that helps a lot!
This year, similar to every single other year of my life, I
have been incredibly blessed and have so much to be thankful for. First of all, I’m thankful for my mom and dad
who support my every decision—even if that means I’ll be halfway around the
world for 27 months! I’m thankful for my
sister who, after getting over the ‘annoying little sister’ stage, has become
one of my very best friends. I’m
thankful for the rest of my amazing family who keep me the envy of my Peace
Corps friends by always having a stack of mail waiting for me. I’m thankful for my brilliant boyfriend who
goes above and beyond what could be expected from a first year medical student
to make sure I always know that I’m still a huge part of his life. I’m thankful for the loving support of all my
friends and family friends who keep me supplied with a slew of messages and
letters—they help more than you could ever know!
I’m thankful for the Peace Corps and the chance I’ve been
given to learn about another peoples’ culture.
I’m thankful for the hospitality and the welcoming arms of both of my
host families. I’m thankful for the
fantastic teachers who have become true friends in the past two months. I’m thankful for the 1,300 kids at school
every day who all say hi to me every time they see me. I’m thankful for the opportunity to learn to
appreciate the small things in life.
Last but not least, I’m incredibly thankful for the other Peace Corps
Volunteers who have become like family to me in the past 5 months.
I legit cried on this one. I am so thankful to know someone so incredible, open to experiences, brave, honorable, dutiful, smart, hilarious, tries everything once, dedicated, caring, compassionate to complete strangers, et cetera. And all with the biggest smile. You ma'am are an inspiration to my life. Happy thanksgiving even though it doesn't feel like it. I think they go hard for x-mas though, so get ready!
ReplyDeleteWhat can I say..... so proud and blessed to be your mama!
ReplyDelete