It's almost time for another school year and this year I would like to present my blog audience with an incredible opportunity to have a direct impact on someone's life and their access to education.
As you may know, I've been involved with an organization called JCFI for almost my entire time in Magarao. I've worked with their high school 'scholars' in various ways over the past two years: livelihood craft trainings, last summer's English tutorial, and this summer's storybook making club. They are an incredibly intelligent, hard-working, respectful, and dedicated group of young people working hard to make something of themselves and improve their lives and the lives of their families.
JCFI is able to provide for the academic needs of most of the youth through donations from the organization's supporters, successful adults who graduated with help from JCFI in the past, and domestic and international friends. For a total amount of 3,000 pesos--about $70--JCFI sponsors one scholar for one whole academic year. The amount breaks down as follows:
Pay the school contribution for one school year: P1,500
School supplies: P700
Tutorial classes (400 hours @ P1.00/hour): P400
Activities and projects: P400
TOTAL: P3,000
JCFI has dreams of expanding their outreach and would like to sponsor more scholars in Magarao. I would like to share this opportunity with all of you in hopes that you'll be tempted to get involved and ease the financial burden for students who are hungry for the education they're entitled to. I promise these students are more than worthy.
As part of the deal for scholars who are sponsored, they must regularly attend JCFI meetings, and their parents must also be actively involved in the organization. JCFI is very family oriented and already has a solid, community-based structure and foundation. All they need is the financial backing.
Here is the sponsor letter from JCFI. If you're interested in supporting a scholar, please contact me as soon as possible at meliclo34@gmail.com. (Before Friday the 24th would be best, as I just learned they'll be handing out school supplies on May 25th!)
No comments:
Post a Comment