I've never before seen so many printed tarpaulin signs as I have here in the Philippines. They're fairly cheap to print and you can get them in practically any size you could want. People make them for everything: fiestas, birthdays, graduations, businesses, advertisements, deaths, etc.
A few weeks ago, a tarpaulin went up over the road near my house basically saying "Happy Fiesta San Isidro! From Gov. Migz Villafuerte".
**Sidenote: That reminds me...people like to take credit when they do these kinds of things. They'll include "From _____" on things like tarpaulins, cakes, and even balloons. For example, the birthday balloons that always adorn the walls of a party usually read something like "Happy Birthday, Anak! Love, Mommy & Daddy"**
Anyway, shortly after the "Happy Fiesta" tarpaulin went up, this one went up directly on its back:
"Dios Mabalos (Thank You)! Gov't Migz Villafuerte and the Prov'l Gov't of Cam. Sur. From the people of San Isidro, Magarao, C.S."
First time I've seen a 'thank you' tarpaulin for a 'happy fiesta' tarpaulin....
It seems like I've been putting the "finishing touches" on the library for quite a while but I really think I'm nearing the end! (Not counting encoding, label or organizing all the books!) I was on the lookout for this book when we opened all the boxes from my family!
It was mine when I was a kid! After I grew out of it, my parents gave it to my aunt for her young kids. When they outgrew it years ago, my aunt sold it at a church yard sale. When my aunt did a book drive with her church members to fill my library here in the Philippines, the book was donated back to her and has found me once again!
This is where the torn/messed up books will go to get fixed up by our Junior Librarians:
One thing I've noticed about working in elementary schools is that these kids can't help but read things on the walls! I'm trying to fill the walls with interactive prompts they can use with each other, like these quote bubbles that give them questions to ask each other.
Our Nat Geo readers all organized!
Bugs and animals near the globe:
This is the most recently completed "little big" project: the Listening Center! There are 4 sets of headphones hooked up to a cassette player where the kids can listen and follow along with books on tape. I had the teachers record themselves reading books at the library training and the kids love listening to voices they know! Still working on the instruction visuals and organization of this station...
The last two balikbayan boxes were finally opened and emptied onto these last two shelves, recently made by my carpenter. I think I've filled every last available space with shelves so once these are filled, ALL of our shelves will be completely FULL! I know we've met the goal of having at least as many books as pupils (1,300) but I can't wait to do a final count and see just how many we have!
Checking out the Listening Center...
Apparently this is the look I give after a pupil uses my camera after I tell him not to...
It's kind of hard to see details in this picture, but I printed new tarpaulins for the exterior of our building to identify the "e-Classroom", "Library", and "Knowledge Channel"! Looks so official! :)
I know that look very well!!! (in fact, I'm probably getting it right now!)
ReplyDeleteEVERYTHING LOOKS AWESOME !!! You should be SOOO PROUD! I know we are !!!!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Mom & Dad
Ricky - by the way .. that "look" is genetic .. I get it quite often too :)
ReplyDelete