I had a very special day today with Lorena and her boys! We went to Greenwich for lunch because Marlon chose 'pizza' from the list of options I gave them. However, Marlon ended up saving his piece of pizza to give to his papa as pasalubong. We got a group meal deal with pizza, spaghetti, carbonara, fried chicken, and--of course--rice.
The "Filipino way" to eat a rice meal is to break off a little piece of whatever the ulam (anything served with rice: chicken, vegetable dish, etc.) and put it on a spoon filled with rice. It was so funny to me to watch all the boys do the same with pizza! They used their fork and spoon to tear off a little piece of pizza and ate it with a healthy spoonful of rice! So Filipino!
After lunch, we went to Lucky--an educational supply store where I've become a regular--to get the boys all their school supplies. They each had a basket filled with everything they could ever need! They also chose backpacks (with wheels, of course!) and we checked out. Since I had recently spent a lot of money there getting supplies for my library training, the manager recognized me and offered me a discount. Saved 100 pesos!
After the school supplies were acquired, we went off in search of clothes. The boys ended up each getting one collared school uniform shirt, 2 school uniform shorts, 3 white t-shirts, 5 undies, a pair of tsinelas (flip flops), a pair of medyas (socks), and a pair of sapatos (sneakers). They were ecstatic!
We stopped for a sweet treat before we went home. Joseph & Lorena got a Dunkin Donuts donut, and Marlon, Mak Mak and I got ice cream from McDo! Then, we boarded a jeep and went to the library to use the permanent markers there to label everything.
I really loved seeing the excitement on their faces all day. I know school shopping was something I loved to do as a kid and I wouldn't be surprised if this is the first time they got to experience it all together. Before they left, we had a "fashion show" so they could try on their new gear and we could take pictures!
New shoes!
Marlon loves his new Chucks!
Joseph asked if he could wear these to play basketball and I wanted so badly to say "Heck yeah!" but the responsible adult in me told him they're for "school lang".
All ready for a new school year!
Love these boys so much!!
No comments:
Post a Comment