Thursday, May 1, 2014

Basketball!!

Today was the second all day brown out in a row, and IT IS HOT.  This morning, after walking home from school around 11am, I came into my room and it actually felt a bit cool compared to outside and the rest of my house!  I looked at the temperature on my alarm clock... it was 88 degrees in my room.  You know it's brutal when 88 degrees feels "cool"!

Needless to say, I spent the vast majority of yesterday and today doing work in Naga cafes.  I got a lot of work done, too!  It was actually great timing with my Library training coming up.  There's so much planning to do!

When I came home and took Bern for a walk, I ran into Lorena who told me about a basketball tournament happening at the covered court here in Magarao!  It's been far too long since I've had any sort of basketball in my life so I took Bern home and walked back to the covered court.  I got there for the start of San Isidro (my barangay) vs. Ponong and was able to watch the whole game without passing out from the heat!  The gym was packed and the crowd was raucous!  There was such a great atmosphere despite it feeling like a sauna.  I honestly wouldn't have been surprised if steam started rising up to the ceiling.  (Family: For your reference, it was even worse than playing at the Burham YMCA at noon in the heat of summer!)  I was so psyched to get a little taste of basketball, it's been far too long!  The only thing that would have been better--other than the temperature--was if I could have played!  I can't wait to play when I'm back in the States!!

No comments:

Post a Comment