Thursday, November 7, 2013

Yolanda

As of 11am this morning.  (I'm in Camarines Sur)

It seems like Super Typhoon Yolanda is making international headlines so I wanted to give you an update on the situation here!
Yolanda is currently barreling toward the Philippines and has just been upgraded to a Category 5, "an extremely serious threat to Philippines".  
It's expected to hit the central part of the country--which is where I am (Bicol).


As much as I want to quote you all the scary lines I've been reading in the news, I'll let you research those for yourself and just keep the blog personal.
Earlier this morning we got a text from our 'warden' about having to consolidate at Villa Caceres in Naga by 2pm.  There are 11 of us Volunteers here from the northern Bicol region and we've been told we'll be here for at least 2 nights.  We're safe and sound so don't worry about me/us.

Our dorm style hotel room: 10 girls, 1 bathroom
What you can worry about though--as I am--is my community.  Yesterday, when I learned that we would be consolidating, I made plans with Ate Alma (one of my neighbors and the daughter of my landlord) for her and her daughter, Lovely, to take care of Bern for me while I'm gone.  Because their normal sleeping situation is less than ideal for when "the strongest storm system on the earth this year" comes through, I invited them to stay in my house instead.  After thinking about it for a while, Ate Alma accepted and said she and Lovely would sleep in my house with Bern.  However, I had been texting Lorena (the boys' mom) early this morning because their house, as you've seen in pictures, is certainly not a good place to be for this situation.  I also invited them to stay at my house instead and I just got word, via text, that they have agreed and will be sleeping in my house.  Seriously, what a relief.
Unfortunately, Lovely said that now she and her mom will be staying somewhere else instead.  Probably too many people for them now, but I know that they have options and will find refuge in a safe place.

She's bigger than the entire country...

It's been raining here off and on all afternoon and evening, but when it's on it's on.  We're expecting tomorrow to be intense.  The hotel's power has gone out a few times tonight but apparently they're having a wedding here tomorrow and have a generator up and running just in case.  We're planning to just hang out here for the rest of tonight and tomorrow so I'll try to keep you updated as much as possible.

1 comment:

  1. Relieved to hear that you have relocated and so very relieved to hear that the boys will be at your place! Thank you so much for the updates. Praying for you and for all there. Be safe. Ciao!

    ReplyDelete