Friday, November 8, 2013

Consolidation: Day 2, afternoon

Things are still fairly calm here and it looks like my area will be escaping the brunt of the typhoon as it passes across the country to the south of us.  It's still very rainy and windy here in Naga.  From the maps and forecasts we've seen, we think we'll be getting the worst of what we're expected to get within the next few hours.  Fortunately for us, (we don't think) our worst will be anywhere near what other parts of the country are experiencing.

I was texting Karla a bit earlier, who is in Negros, and apparently her group was not consolidated.  So she's at home dealing with her leaking, flooded house.  Chelsea & Kathryn are safe in Albay, consolidated with a few others, and Hunter is here in my group.

I just got a text from Lorena saying that the Dela Cruz house (or surrounding area, I'm not sure exactly) is flooded.  I told her to go back and just stay at my house.  I have a feeling I'll be digging out my rain boots for more flood clean up when I get back, still nervous about how their house will fare...

There's a really interesting 'list' on Buzzfeed right now about Haiyan/Yolanda.  There were two really interesting parts that stuck out to me:
1) The fact that Haiyan/Yolanda is "far more powerful than Hurricane Katrina was before it struck the U.S. with devastating effect in 2005".  This is one thing to take into account, but when you think about the population that's being devastated in this storm, it's heartbreaking.  The victims of this super typhoon are already living in such poor conditions, in homes that could be toppled by a typhoon just half this strong.
2) "If Haiyan were located off the U.S. East Coast, the massive storm would stretch from Florida to New York".  Unbelievable.


No comments:

Post a Comment