I learned last week, that while we were at Language Camp,
the house of one of my fellow Bicol Volunteers was broken into and a lot of his
things—including computer—were stolen.
Not to make light of his situation (I doubt he’ll ever read
this anyway), but I had much better luck after returning to my house from the
Manila trip! I had asked my neighbor
girls to take care of my foster kittens while I was gone and I left my house
key with their mother (Ate Alma, my main contact for landlord issues). I showed them how I’ve been feeding the
kittens with a Visine dropped filled with milk and how to clean out their
crate, etc. That’s all I expected from
them. When I got back to my house at
4:30am, I was in a sleepy stupor but noticed that some of my clothes were
hanging in my front porch to dry. I went
to sleep for a while and when I woke up, I noticed that my room had been
straightened up, my laundry had been done, my garbage had been taken out, and a
few dishes had been washed! The next
time I saw Ate Alma, she said to me, “Please don’t be angry that I washed your
clothes”. HA! What a silly statement. I thanked her profusely and told her she
didn’t have to do all that and she responded that she “loves washing clothes”
and has done it all her life.
Weird. Needless to say, I wasn’t
angry—especially since I had washed clothes 2 days before and they were still
stinky after they dried. A “yaya” is a
“nanny” and if anyone is in need of a helper, I highly recommend a
Filipina! As you can probably surmise
through my little stories about the Pinoy women in my life now, they’re all
ridiculously helpful and will take care of you even if you don’t ask!
While playing Tug of War today with Marlon, Bernardino lost
one of his big, sharp teeth on the bottom; I think it may have been an adult
tooth but, oh well, it’s out now! My
neighbor girl, Lovely (yes, that’s really her name) was there when it happened
and after she took the tooth to show her mother, Ate Alma, she came back and
threw it on my roof. At first, I wasn’t
sure what she threw up there but then I heard the little *ping* of the tooth
hitting my aluminum porch roof. She
could tell I was a little confused and explained, “Bawal sa basurahan”… “Not
allowed to go in the trash can”. According
to this superstitious belief, any lost teeth—human or animal—go anywhere but
the trash, usually on the roof. As for
Bern, I’m sure he won’t missett…he seems fine now as he chews on one of the
toys his Tita Kt got him. J
Hunter finally found a suitable house to move into! Her principal was actually the one who found
it and described it to Hunter as a “bachelor pad”. It turns out the “bachelor pad” is bright
pink and perfect for Hunter and Rhett Butler (her pup, Bernardino’s brother). She’s moving on Saturday and is currently
experiencing the overwhelming need to buy everything that will make her empty
house livable, like I did last month. Our
Peace Corps bank accounts have taken a big hit so instead of the big party she
was considering on Saturday night for her birthday (Sunday, St. Patrick’s Day),
I think she’s decided to have a casual get together at Ate Janet’s house
instead. Even though most Filipinos
don’t know what St. Patrick’s Day is, we’re still planning to go all out with
the green and shamrocks (including green beer)!
Happy 21st Birthday to one of my best
friends, my sister, KT Boo! I hope your
birthday is full of fun and not all studying!
I’m so sorry I can’t be there to celebrate with you but I promise to
have a cold San Mig Apple waiting for you in May! I love you and I can’t wait until you get
here!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment