Friday, March 1, 2013

March 1


After spending the last five days in Legazpi at Language Camp, I’m finally back “home” in Magarao.  For the camp, interested Bicol Volunteers (basically just ‘all Volunteers’, because, who doesn’t want a free hot shower??), signed up to attend a three day language intensive camp with PC LCFs (Language Cultural Facilitators).  We had the option to study Tagalog or our regional dialect (mine is Bikol-Naga); I chose Bikol-Naga.  Even though I had taken a few Bikol lessons with an LCF who lives in a neighboring barangay, I am still very much at the beginner level.  It’s been difficult to motivate myself to study the new language because, to be honest, it’s very easy to avoid it.  As an English teacher, I’m expected to model English speaking at school and I’ve been able to get by with some Taglish at home with Lola and Nancy.  I really do want to continue studying Bikol (and maybe Tagalog) because it will definitely open up more doors if I’m also able to converse with the people—community members and teachers—who are too shy to try to speak English with me.  With Tagalog right now, I can understand a lot more than I can produce and that’ll be my main goal with Bikol, too: to understand. 
In addition to being a great kick start to language self-study, Language Camp was also a great stress reliever for all of us.  It’s nice to be able to get together with other American friends and not have to worry about saying or doing the right thing or straining to understand a conversation.  The hot shower, air con, and pool were also plusses!  At night, we had free time so one night we played some “Nana Wilson” and the next night we got a (VERY) rowdy game of “Spoons” going!  We had 11 people crowded around a little round table and we even convinced our Filipino Language Coordinator to let us teach him how to play.  I think he was a little overwhelmed by our viciousness.
Now that Language Camp is over and I’m back in Magarao, it’s time to start packing up and getting ready to move into my new house!  My plan is to do some last minute house shopping Saturday morning, then go clean the house and start moving things in Saturday afternoon!  I’m hoping to be all set up before I have to go to school on Monday.
As excited as I am to be getting my own place, I will definitely miss living here with Lola and Nancy.  I’ll miss the little taps on my window all the time, and Marlon always telling me “Good night! I love you!” in his little sing-song voice.  Even though I won’t miss the ridiculously loud TV, I will definitely miss my constant kasamas: Lola and Nancy.  They’ve taken such good care of me for the past six months and I know they’re very skeptical that I will actually be able to care for myself.  Because of the Filipino family culture here, everyone who learns that this 23 year old single female will be living alone has tons of questions: “Who will cook?” “Who will clean?” “Who will do the laundry?”… and they always look shocked when I assure them that I am capable of all that.
Lola told me tonight that she might cry tomorrow when I move all my things out tomorrow and she basically ordered me to come by every day to visit.  Joseph, MakMak, and Marlon are all excited to help me move my things and Marlon is still asking me, all the time, if he can move with me.  I always reply, “Puwedeng magbisita lang!”
Hopefully, by the next time I post, I will finally have pictures of my new digs to share! 

No comments:

Post a Comment