It was such a great morning! ... Until it wasn't.
I got to school this morning at 8am for our remedial reading class with the few grade 4 kids my counterpart, Teacher Karen, and I have been working with. We were using today to finish up our lessons about the book "Animals, Animals", a unit I downloaded from my soon-to-expire subscription to Reading A-Z. (Thanks for telling me about it, Lisa! What a treasure trove!) We had a great 2 hour session with the kids and they're excited to start the next book on Monday.
Before 10am, Ma'am Dada (the "librarian") showed up for our scheduled meeting to discuss the upcoming library training for teachers. In addition, my other counterpart, Dinah, also showed up! What a delightful surprise after not hearing from her for over a month. The past is in the past and I'm just glad both are present now. We discussed the outline I had prepared for the training and assigned responsibilities to each of us. After talking to our Principal a few days ago, it is mostly set to have the training on May 7-9.
So far so good.
Prompted by a point on my outline, Ma'am Dada remembered a message she was supposed to deliver to me from another teacher who was told by our District Supervisor. Remember him? The one who moved his office out of what is now the library, to a new building on the school's campus? Well apparently he told a teacher, who told Ma'am Dada, who told me that the District Supervisor will be removing the sliding glass window unit and the glass door from his old office.... aka my white board and basically most of my library wall. In my head, my first reaction was obviously, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!" but out loud I offered a calm, "Ok, thanks for letting me know".
I know that I'll figure everything out and finish things in the end, but I'm really bummed/annoyed/frustrated/angry that this is even happening! To me, it's so rude and disrespectful to wait until my renovations are complete and the library is finished before deciding he wants those things and will be taking them! Either they will be ripped out and my wall will be in ruins, or I'll have to find funds in my budget to buy him a new one to put in his office (so he doesn't take mine). Either way, not cool.
I was also informed that I need to only talk to the teacher who was first informed of this issue... not directly to the District Supervisor. That's annoying. I'll try my best to abide by the cultural and hierarchical norms here, but what I really want to do is go directly to him and give him a piece of my mind. We'll see what happens!
Well help is on the way...take that Mr. District Supervisor! He has no idea who he is dealing with...we will show him. And if that doesn't work we will send Ricky's Gram!!! ;)
ReplyDeleteCiao.
Dang, Miss. That's some straight Filipino nonsense. Ain't nobody got time fo' dat! Hope it all works out!! LOVE YA
ReplyDeleteKaity