On the afternoon of Valentine's Day, we loaded up 16 kids in a jeepney along with the ~100 handmade Valentine's Day cards, bags of clothing, kilos of rice, box of toys, and pots of pancit.
When we arrived at Gift of Love, the kids set up the chairs in their pavilion area to prepare for their program. Most of the residents came out to see what was going on and filled in the chairs.
The kids had a front row seat for all the action!
During my time here in the Philippines, I've already sat through many programs. Quite honestly, they're getting old; however, this was the perfect occasion for a program (complete with singing and dance numbers). The residents seemed to really enjoy it and were happy with the handmade cards the students passed out.
Lorrie sang a touching version of "Right Here Waiting" where she walked into the audience and held the hands of a few Lolas. It was so sweet and I do have a video of it, but my internet is too slow right now.
It wouldn't be a good blog post without pictures of adorable kids!
Some of the residents reading their Valentine's Day cards.
Our students called the little boys up to do a dance number. OF COURSE, they did their dance to "Gangnam Style". (Video of this coming later, also).
I have to admit, I had my doubts about pulling together a legitimate merienda for everyone at the last minute! Dinah (my co-teacher) was able to work her magic and provide bihon, puto, and juice for everyone! As she says, "they wouldn't have enjoyed it if there was no snack". Typical! :)
Our students serving the snacks...
Cute kids! Cute kids! Cute kids!
I haven't worked with this age level (grade 6, 11-12 years old) but I don't think I've ever seen such compassionate kids before. It was amazing to watch the students take the initiative to help feed the kids who couldn't feed themselves. Even more impressive was the group of 4 students who teamed up to feed an elderly man. One boy feed him the pancit, one helped him drink, one had a cloth to wipe his face, and (the most surprising) one held her hand under his mouth to catch whatever fell as he ate. (Eventually a helper noticed and gave her a bowl to use instead). I was really impressed by these 6th graders.
Team photo with the kids!
Some of the girls and their helpers! I think Hunter and I are going to make visiting Gift of Love a habit over the summer. The kids are so sweet and the helpers are even sweeter! Apparently, they were asking when "Ate Melissa and Ate Hunter" were coming back! :)
All those bags are filled with our clothing donations!
All of our grade 6 students, teachers, and the kids from Gift of Love!
2 of our students getting one last shot with "Lolo Florencio" before we left!
We really had an amazing day hanging out at Gift of Love. Unfortunately, these kids are "graduating" from our school in the middle of March, but hopefully next year I'll find another group who wants to make this visit a regular occurrence!
Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!
You are doing GREAT things and I am SO VERY PROUD OF YOU!! Love you ~ Dad
ReplyDelete