Thursday, April 25, 2013

Around Magarao

I met with the JCFI parents yesterday to talk about their interests in livelihood projects and they seem really into it!  It was their idea to start some projects, sell them, and --hopefully-- profit, and I'm grateful to have been recruited for a project so in line with my interests!  I kind of had an idea that the parents would be shy to talk to me or language would be difficult between us, so I printed a ton of pictures of different possible projects (thank you Pintrest!) to share with them.
 We decided to meet again in one week and start with a simple project in the beginning: paper beads.  We'll make the beads the first day then at the next meeting, we'll start stringing them together for bracelets and necklaces, etc.
The JCFI compound is located in my neighboring barangay and is really close to my house.  It's got a huge, nice backyard area that is shaded with lots of tall trees.  The students ate and hung out at the table on the back patio area while the parents sat under the trees.
This idea came up at the end of our meeting and is definitely one of my favorites right now!  It's a little wallet made from drinking straws woven together!  My friend, and JCFI helper, Cris bought it for 15 pesos and uses it as her change purse.  Think Americans would be interested in these??

 It's definitely campaign time here in the Philippines, as is overly evident by all the campaign posters EVERYWHERE!  I've actually had many candidates stop by my house to introduce themselves to me and give me some propaganda.  I tell them as soon as they arrive that I can't vote and that they shouldn't waste their time with me.  They usually move on fairly quickly.





Hunter and I spotted this "Gangster Bicolandia" graffiti at the waiting shed near my house.  My area really isn't as tough or "gangster" as they make themselves out to be...

U.S. flag in a jeep!

No comments:

Post a Comment