Sunday, September 2, 2012

Smokey Mountain

**All photos are courtesy of Bheki S.!  Thanks Bhekz, I wish I could take credit for them!*

Instead of visiting the Peace Corps Headquarters in Manila after Supervisors' Conference like we, Education Trainees, did, the Children, Youth, & Family Trainees had 2 intense--and very emotional-- days of street immersion in Manila.  Upon learning about their itinerary I was really intrigued, and finally, tonight, I got to hear about their trip straight from Bheki, a CYF Trainee.
Both of their days were long and hectic, including many different activities back to back.  They went to a local mall which is know for being a hot spot for prostitutes.  The male Trainees were supposed to split up and walk around while the female Trainees were to sit and watch.  Apparently, most of the guys were propositioned by at least one prostitute during their walks.  
They also met with a group of prostitutes (on the street, I believe) and were able to talk to them about their lives and their work.  Bheki said while the women were working the street, you could see all of their children lined up sleeping on cardboard boxes along the side of the street.  One woman she talked to looked to be a heavy drug user and when Bheki asked when her last hit was, she said it was a couple of days prior.  She asked why she hadn't gotten high that day and the woman said because she hadn't made enough money yet.
Also that day, they visited a group of street children and did impromptu activities with them; they played games and did some literacy activities.  It sounded like a lot of the children were where they should be, intellectually, which is pleasantly surprising.  
The part of their trip that is haunting me is their visit to Smokey Mountain.  I had never heard of Smokey Mountain before a couple of days ago and now I can't learn enough.  It's fascinating and heart-breaking all at the same time.
Such a powerful photograph.  Well done, Bhekz!
Smokey Mountain is a garbage dump in Manila that people have made into a community.  Thousands of people have built their shelters on top of many decades' worth of trash.  Bheki said they even have barangays and Barangay Captains-- this is a legitimate dwelling and has been for years.  
 

Literally, a mountain of trash.
People --both adults and children-- dig through the trash to find things they can sell to make a peso or two.  They scrounge for wood scraps to burn and make into charcoal.
Boy biking wood scraps back to burn

The CYF Trainees said the children were filthy--their clothes were covered in dirt and grime and their faces marked with soot, yet they were all friendly and had big smiles on their faces.  It's amazing how, even in such bleak conditions, these children can still have such hopeful and enchanting smiles!  It's warms my heart and smashes it into pieces all at the same time. 


2 comments:

  1. Oh Missy, I had no idea other parts of the world could actually be like this. Thank you for sharing with us and showing us a small window into a culture that I had never known. You are doing wonderful work and you are changing the lives of others one smile at a time. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete