Melissa's internet situation is still spotty, so she asked me to publish this for her. Enjoy!
I think I’m going to like it here! On Saturday, Hunter and I were taken
by 2 of my co-workers to a little shop were teacher uniforms can be
ordered. We had to try on a selection of polo shirts to get our size
right so we could have the District uniform ordered for us (our schools
are in the same district). They handed me a stack of folded polo shirts
and I found a size large and held it up. I think I literally laughed
out loud and had to ask if she handed me the pile of child sizes
instead. Nope, they were “women’s” sizes. I tried up to a 4XL and it
was still very tight and short on me! I ended up having to get a men’s
large, I think, and even it was tight around my arms! Ridiculous.
After making me feel like a humongous giant, we walked around Naga City
for a while to scope out points of interest. We passed by maraming
(many) ukay-ukays; these are basically thrift stores that sell clothes
for really cheap. Most of their stock is extra product from America and
other countries, so we—Americans—have been encouraged to check them out
when we can’t find our sizes in Filipino stores. From what we passed
by, it looks like most of the shirts are less than 100 PhP (about $2)
and pants and shoes are just as cheap.
The main market in Naga is 3
floors of tons of different shops. The second floor was more ukay-ukays
that also carry all sorts of linens and things for the house and the
second floor was full of fruit stands (where we met a vendor who gave us
free rambutans—the best I’ve had so far!). I also talked to a couple
of street kids who were selling lemons. They didn’t speak much English
(or they were just shy) but my Principal translated for me: she said
they would sell lemons for their parents for 10 pesos each and for every
lemon sold they would get back 1 peso for themselves. There was also a
fresh fish market and a meat market but we didn’t walk through them—not
really somewhere I need to casually stroll through.
After we left
the market we took a trike to SM Naga City (the mall) where Hunter and I
had lunch with my co-workers, my principal and Hunter’s principal at a
diner called Bigg’s. After lunch, we parted ways and Hunter and I
roamed around the mall checking out the available amenities. Although
they look similar at a glance, I’ve noticed that Asian malls are very
different from American malls regarding the services offered. For
instance, there are TONS of salons and any kind of salon treatment you
could ever want: including a “face vacuum” where you can have all your
pores sucked out with a laser or something (it was recommended by
another PCV so maybe I’ll give it a try at some point). There was an
Ace Hardware (which is actually really convenient), multiple internet
cafes completely full of kids playing RPGs, and even a post office. I
kid you not, there was even a place that offered circumcisions.
Afterwards, the 5 of us piled into/all over a trike (2 behind the driver
of the motorcycle, 3 of us in the sidecar) and made our way back to my
school. We sat in the teacher’s lounge and had merienda while we waited
for Hunter’s family to come pick her up.
It was a really nice day
and I’m really thankful to have people who are so willing to help us
get to know our new home. It’s so unbelievably helpful and I’m looking
forward to more outings! My principal’s husband wants all of us to go
on a trip to the Wakeboarding Complex (supposedly the biggest and best
in the world!) which is here in CamSur.
On Sunday I went with my
Lola ((host) grandmother) and her sister, Doris, to church. It was
gigantic and gorgeous and completely packed full of people. All the
pews were full and people crowded into the open doors along the sides of
the nave to be part of the service. We came after the service began so
we snaked our way in through the side so we could stand inside the
church. With all those people and the weather being as warm as it is,
sweat was dripping down my back the whole time as I was simultaneously
being whacked by people’s hand fans from both sides. I can’t remember
what the church is called (maybe something like Viva la Virgen?) but my
lola told me it was built by Emelda Marcos. Afterwards we went to
Shakey’s for lunch (chain restaurant that offers pizza, pasta, salads,
& sandwiches) and made a quick stop at a grocery store. Lola bought
me a box of sweet tamarind because she had given me a tamarind candy
the night before and I told her it was ‘masarap!’ She also got me some
breakfast… hotdogs.
The rest of the afternoon was pretty chill. I
watched the first half of “Born into Brothel” (really good
documentary!) then I was summoned to the living room because we had
visitors. This was my second visit, since being in the Philippines,
with members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. We
chatted for a bit because the one kid was from Hawaii and Lola was
really excited to have another American in her house, then they gave us
their spiel and they were on their way.
Monday is my first official
day at Magarao Central Elementary School and I’m so excited to meet my
new students and my new co-workers! Can’t wait to see what’s in store
for my next 2 years!
L O L A....Lola!
ReplyDeleteOooh...Imelda Marcos built your school...look for some shoes for me!! Actually I HAD to make that comment...my family members who read your blog KNOW my love for shoes!!! Can't wait to hear all about your first day. Take care. Ciao bella!!
ReplyDelete