After three weeks of training the "Bigs" (grade 5 tutors), we had our first session with the "Littles" (grade 2 kids) last Saturday! The Bigs were really excited and we had almost perfect attendance from them (~23). However, we only had 6 of 22 Littles. No matter, we made it work and went on with the plan!
The Bigs arrived an hour before the Littles and set up their rooms with the Centers we prepared.
I thought I was so prepared by having all the kids listed on color coordinating sheets so everyone would know where to be.... but it turned out that I accidentally switched the team names!! Ugh! It was fine since we only ended up having 6 Littles; they were easy to manage and we ended up combining both rooms.
The Bigs started by leading a couple rounds of "Head, Shoulders, Knees & Toes".
Then we got started with the centers.
These two worked so well together! Jericho (the Big on the left) is a fantastic tutor and is so sweet with his Little, Mark, who seems to be really engaged and excited about Book Buddies!
Since we had a surplus of Bigs, some Littles had 3 Bigs at one point:
2 Bigs and a Little work with 'Word Family flip books':
Marjorie & Roy (Bigs, left & right) work with Genevieve (middle) to match popsicle sticks with uppercase and lowercase letters:
Gillian's turn with the popsicle stick matching
"Story Time" center:
This Little was losing interest near the end and was getting grumpy so I told his Big to give him some alone time since he didn't want to do anything. I strategically placed a Clifford book in front of his and watched to see what he would do. After refusing to do anything with his Big, he--hesitantly at first--began flipping through the pages of the colorful book! Mini win! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment